Friday, September 30, 2011

Not so Terrible Two's...


Tomorrow my baby turns two. I never put much thought into the saying "Time Flies" until I had a kid. Really it does. Just yesterday I was holding a seven pound angel and now I'm chasing a twenty-eight pound boy. What happened? I will say that besides pounds, two years has changed many things. Firstly, the definition of sanity has changed in my book. The word itself should be implied as rare when talking about a mother of a toddler. Now I'm not saying Brayden drives me nuts, I'm saying I've become my own worst enemy with worry. My sanity has become engulfed with the list of worries that should be provided in a warning manual when giving birth.

"Warning, with this child comes anxiety, lack of sleep, worry over every little fall, bump and bruise, sniffle, cough, pained cry and tantrum. If symptoms continue longer than 18 years...get over it."

Of course this label does not come with your baby and therefore you worry, yes worry, that your over-protective, over-reactive, and just plain crazy. Well I'm no pro but I'm getting the suspicious feeling that after hanging out with many moms that these worries are actually normal. Go figure. So even though two years have past and I am still in the acceptance stage of being "crazy", I will say that it's not been so terrible. Yes he throws fits, and poops A LOT, makes messes right after I clean the house, is a picky eater and loves only red sauced foods...it's still been wonderful.

Now I will say in losing my sanity I have gained many other notable traits that I never once thought I needed:

Patience (here and there)
Tolerance (same as above :P )
The ability to use one arm for EVERYTHING
A less sensitive gag reflex
Understanding the foreign language of Toddler
Remembering to talk in English when adults are around
Finding time for yourself
Finding time with your husband
Enjoying the small things
Accepting that I will never pee alone again (at least not for a few years)
That just a smile from my little man makes my whole day!

So in closing, two years have flown by but with it I gained a whole resume of attributes I would have never gained in the workforce. With these two years I was able to watch my son grow into this little man filled with aw and excitement over something as simple as Tupperware. These two years have been the best in my life and I have that to thank to my son Brayden and my hubby Doug! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment